Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Personally, I am so overwhelmed by the idea of global climate change and even more overwhelmed by the "efforts" which are being taken to solve it. Perhaps I shouldn't use quotes for efforts, however I think that there is so much to be done and everything is just a band-aid at this point. Even when I feel like I'm doing something good like using a re-usable bag, for example, I find that I consider where this bag will end up. I won't be using this bag forever, and I have five others just like it at home. It is likely that it's going to end up being thrown away. Then I think- is this material any better than plastic? Is it worse? I also think entirely too much when recycling. Is this bottle going to be recycled? If I keep the lid on (or off) will it be put into a land-fill, am I being paranoid? Probably. Anyways here is something which I found not in the least overwhelmed by and actually quite excited about.

The harnessing of wind power is nothing new, and I even remember doing a project about it when I was in grade 6. The excellent design of the wind turbines is, in my opinion, beautiful and efficient. The only "wind farm" I have ever seen is on my way up to my cottage and it is amazing to view and haunting in a way, but that is besides the point. I read in the Toronto Star that Canadian Hydro is erecting enough wind turbines off the shore of Lake Erie to power 2 million homes. It may seem like a lot of wind turbines are needed to make this possible, however the design is extremely streamline to the point where many can fit in a relatively small space.

The drawback to wind farms, I suppose, is the cost. About $665 million a year, or $13.3 billion over 20 years, will be needed for the wind farm off of Lake Erie alone. I think it is exciting that this is happening and the concept of wind power is finally coming into action. It is something that has been around for a while, as I said, and it is good to see it finally come to Canada. They mark a better future in power, to some extent, and look pretty good too!

The image and additional information can be viewed at:



3 comments:

  1. I know this may be a slightly strange view of wind farms but, not only are they a great reusable source of energy, they are strangely beautiful! When i lived in Germany i lived in a small town on a lake and the hill side above us was covered in these tree armed giants! Its is an incredible feeling to go stand next to one!
    Also there quite a few wind farms now in southern Alberta near Pincher Creek. The C-Train in Calgary is powered solely by wind power. It is a optimal place for wind farms because it is right at the east end of the Crows Nest pass which funnels huge amounts of wind out of the mountains and onto the prairies! Here again, these wind farms look like beautiful surreal forests, especially since they are in a practically barren landscape!
    A few years ago there were demonstrations against these wind farms, strangely, by environmental groups. They were saying that the wind farms were directly related to the drop in the bat population as well as affecting the migrations of geese! It is strange to think of these negative side of wind farms when they seem to be a large part of the future of our energy problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about that problem too. Altering global air currents becomes a huge issue when you realize that birds, bats, and bees pollinate the vast majority of plant life – including food – that we need to survive.
    The future is broad though and there are many burgeoning technologies that will help deter the side-effects of our frivolities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete